Is there a secret ingredient in landing an internship at Schneider Electric? I don’t think it’s as simple as identifying individual parts as it requires a perfect recipe. But no two people have the same experience getting an internship at a company because everyone’s journey is unique.
How did I learn about Schneider Electric and get an internship a couple years ago? My university marketing professor worked at Schneider and always spoke so highly of the organization. When the opportunity of an internship arose, I jumped on it, applied, interviewed, and crossed my fingers.
Now, not everyone will have a professor that works at Schneider, but I’ve spoken to many interns from the past and present to compile a list of their top 5 tips on getting an internship at Schneider Electric.
1. Network and make connections
You always hear about it but it’s true—networking is vital for your career, especially when you’re just starting out. Meeting people at the company or industry you’re interested in can help you get your foot in the door for your future career.
Whether it’s online through LinkedIn or in-person during a career fair or event, it’s well worth putting yourself out of your comfort zone to speak to someone. It’s highly unlikely you will get an internship on the spot but knowing someone that can help you understand the company a bit better or point you in the right direction is invaluable. Exchange contact information and stay connected, you never know what might come from it! My professor worked in Marketing at Schneider so we stayed in touch when I started working here and we still bump into each other from time to time!
Note: LinkedIn is an easy way to connect with people from all over the world by sending a well-crafted message when asking to connect. A small gesture can go a long way!
2. Participate in Schneider Electric events
Schneider Electric has plenty of events and experiences that you may be interested in joining. Through these events, you not only get to know Schneider, but we get to know you as well! We’ve met and hired many interns through these programs and events.
- Schneider Go Green – Our global student competition is a great way to get your foot in the door with us, meet professionals, and get mentored by industry leaders.
- Schneider Global Student Experience – This experience is open annually to university students that have an interest in Marketing & Sales, Supply Chain, or Services. When you submit your application, you also submit your resume/CV, so make sure it’s polished (more on that later).
- A few times a year we hold our own virtual career fairs, or you may see us at your university fair. Make sure to stop at our booth virtually or in-person to speak with our recruiters, share your resume, and learn about upcoming opportunities.
3. Polish your Resume/CV
Resumes and CVs go through a variety of transformations as we go through our careers and making sure yours is up to date is key. Your resume should clearly highlight your experience, skills, and qualifications. Remove the outdated information and keep what you think matches the job you’re applying for. Having a polished resume can often be the first impression a recruiter or hiring manager has of you, so make sure it’s a good one!
Tip: Make sure your contact information (email and phone number) is correct and your resume is still intact after uploading it to the application. You wouldn’t want to miss an opportunity because of a typo in your email!
4. Prepare for the interview
If the time has come for your interview, make sure you’re as prepared as possible. Interviews can be nerve-racking but they don’t have to be. Make sure to do your research, be yourself, and ask questions.
A few of our recruiters sat down and wrote up their top 5 tips for an interview to help you out, so you don’t want to miss these tips when you’re preparing for your big day.
5. Stay connected
In our digital world, it’s easy to stay up to date with what’s going on at Schneider. We regularly update our careers site and social media with new opportunities that you won’t want to miss. Here’s a cheat sheet to stay in the know.
- Join our talent community! By joining you can stay connected with us by receiving immediate notifications about job openings, invites to events, company updates, career tips, and more!
- Search our careers site. On our site, you can filter for open job and internship positions by location and keyword. Try searching “intern” in your country to see what you can find!
- Follow us on social media. On our social media accounts, we share job openings, what it’s like to work at Schneider, and much more. I remember following Schneider Electric on Instagram after hearing about it and seeing all the great events and initiatives that Schneider stood for, which made me want to work here even more.
There you have it, the top 5 tips to get an internship, from me, a past intern myself, and with the help from a few other interns I’ve met along the way at Schneider Electric! Take this information and use it to your advantage. I hope to see you at Schneider one day!
Search for and apply for jobs at Schneider Electric here! www.se.com/careers
Follow Schneider Electric on Social Media
Add a comment