This audio was created using Microsoft Azure Speech Services
For food and beverage manufacturers, Clean-In-Place (CIP) systems play a vital role in making sure consumers have access to untainted, safe consumables.
From farm to factory to fork, food products can encounter multiple health hazards during their journey through the supply chain. Without proper tools like CIP systems, food-processing errors can occur, leading to product recalls. Besides eroding consumer confidence, recalls are costly. A recent Food Marketing Institute and Grocery Manufacturers Association study states that the average recall amounts to $10 million in indirect costs, not to mention the negative impact on the corporate brand.
Although indispensable, traditional CIP systems come with some inefficiencies that can impact plant profitability and sustainability. For example, a CIP system can consume as much as 20% of the total utility energy resource in some operations. Fortunately, today’s IoT enabled CIP systems can help improve efficiency and control these costs, significantly boosting a plant’s financial performance and reducing its carbon footprint.
Multi-site access to data delivers breakthrough efficiency improvements in Clean-in-Place operations
Industrial IoT technology is helping to drive much higher efficiency levels in Food & Beverage operations. New IoT platforms and software offer manufacturers greater access to real-time analytics and business KPIs, giving them visibility across multiple plant sites, from shopfloor to top floor.
What’s more, the pre-packaged IoT solutions now on the market make it even easier and cheaper to take advantage of this new level of data insight. With plug and play solutions such as Schneider Electric’s EcoStruxure Plant Advisor – Clean-In-Place (formerly called OptiCiP) combined with CIP Global View (built on EcoStruxure Plant Advisor App Builder), manufacturers can gain superior data access, consolidation, analysis, decision support, and benchmarking across multiple sites, without implementing an entirely new engineering project. This then allows them to better address the challenges of:
- Contamination prevention
- Production delays
- Resource consumption
- Regulatory compliance
Insights from these new systems better equip CIP operators and plant managers to improve their operations in the following ways:
- Reducing process equipment cleaning times which decreases overall energy consumption
- Improving CIP event sequence traceability which helps operators to more quickly find out which equipment was cleaned, when and for how long, and also how much water and chemicals were used. This means that operational decisions impacting profitability and sustainability can be made much faster.
- Gaining better access to a much wider pool of CIP operational data means the resources consumed to maintain safe operation (such as water and chemicals) can be reduced, further driving down a plant’s operating costs as well as its environmental impact.
- Increasing their ability to control CIP quality and performance remotely across geographically distributed sites makes the company-wide CIP process more consistent. This drives benefits across all sites and the ability to gather real-time data for trend analysis facilitates continuous improvement of CIP operations.
Gain competitive advantage with the open, scalable, cybersecure EcoStruxure Plant Advisor Clean-In-Place IIoT multi-site solution
For manufacturers, improved traceability of their Clean-In Place operations translates to cost savings, increased sustainability, and better customer service. Schneider Electric’s EcoStruxure Plant Advisor – Clean-In-Place combined with CIP Global View is the only multi-site solution with the foundational capabilities of IT/OT convergence and an open, scalable IIoT platform. This provides the ability to better manage CIP performance data through simple aggregation, contextualization, and multi-site visibility, enabling Food & Beverage plants to:
- Reduce operational cleaning time by up to 25%, through better CIP performance and tracking
- Reduce water, chemicals, and energy use across multiple plants by up to 30% thanks to the reduced cleaning time and chemical heating savings
- Resolve incidents 2x faster with user-friendly dashboards which empower operators with direct access to the right information
- Simplify food safety compliance procedures with advanced traceability of cleaning processes and easy access to compliance documentation
- Achieve rapid Return On Investment (ROI) ranging from 18 to 24 months