Sustainability, in particular CO2 impact of operations, has become a key topic for Oil & Gas companies
- According to the International Energy Agency, Production and Transformation represents about 15% of the entire oil and gas carbon footprint.
- The Oil and Gas Climate Initiative (OGCI) has defined a target to reduce the collective average carbon intensity of member companies’ aggregated upstream oil and gas operations. The goal is to reduce to 20 kg – 21 kg CO2e/boe by 2025, from a collective baseline of 23 kg CO2e/boe in 2017. OGCI members include BP, Chevron, CNPC, ENI, Equinor, ExxonMobil, Occidental, Petrobras, Repsol, Aramco, Shell and Total.
- Major players such as BP have announced the ambitious goal of becoming a net zero company by 2050.
Schneider Electric can already support the reduction of CO2 emissions with a wide range of solutions and services. This portfolio of offers is enhanced by AVEVA optimisation software.
- Variable Speed Drives can ensure significant reduction in electric energy consumption, and can be easily deployed even in brownfield, for example, on a cooling tower fan.
- Process Control, Real Time Optimization, apps such as Profit Advisor, integration of Power and Process can help optimize a process and produce more with less feedstock and energy.
- AVEVA optimization software can help fine-tune the design of flare systems, heat exchangers or flue gas recovery.
- Energy Sustainability Services and Resource Advisor can help optimize and track carbon emissions.
- We can help optimize the design of the complete power system, ensuring less loss and right-sizing of power generation needs.
McDermott International, Ltd, Schneider Electric and io consulting have recently announced a breakthrough partnership
An unprecedented collaboration between McDermott, io consulting and Schneider Electric has identified achievable actions that can reduce upstream greenhouse gas emissions by more than 70% with minimal cost increase over the life of the field. This includes operational carbon emissions, embedded carbon in the facilities and the emissions from the EPCI process.
Here are just a few of the findings from the joint study on Net Zero Offshore Facilities to be published before the end of the year:
- Decarbonizing power
- Use of digital technology to remotely operate the facility
- Designing out fugitive emission sources and highly potent greenhouse gas usage in production equipment
- Designing out the flare systems
- The study also concludes that there is a significant potential for offshore weight reduction
The study also demonstrates a methodology that can be applied to all your facilities during the construction process and the life of field operations to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Who are our partners?
Allow us to introduce our partners in their own words…
McDermott is a premier, fully integrated provider of engineering and construction solutions to the energy industry. Our customers trust our technology-driven approach to design and build infrastructure solutions to responsibly transport and transform oil and gas into the products the world needs today. From concept to commissioning, our expertise and comprehensive solutions deliver certainty, innovation and added value to energy projects around the world. It is called the “One McDermott Way.” Operating in over 54 countries, McDermott’s locally focused and globally integrated resources include more than 30,000 employees, a diversified fleet of specialty marine construction vessels and fabrication facilities around the world. To learn more, visit www.mcdermott.com
About io consulting
io consulting is a strategic development consultancy created to provide greater certainty and higher decision quality to operators and help bring more hydrocarbons and energy transition projects to sanction by disrupting traditional approaches. io is unique with its integrated strategic-techno-commercial capabilities ensuring a balanced approach between commercial, technical and strategic priorities capitalising on multi-discipline capabilities in subsurface, drilling, subsea, marine, facilities, decommissioning/life extension and environmental alongside economic modelling. We are a joint venture between Baker Hughes and McDermott and are unique in having their know-how, expertise and data ‘hard coded’ into our DNA. For powerful thinking, visit www.ioconsulting.com.
Why such a partnership?… Because “the earlier the better”
Our Schneider Electric portfolio helps optimize a given architecture… We often influence some elements of the architecture, making suggestions that benefit both the end-user wallet and the planet. But the ideal situation is to help define the architecture, at the earliest stage possible… These stages are called Concept Select and Definition (pre-FEED), which are where McDermott and io consulting (as a project architect) specifically engage with their customers… the same IOC and NOC (International and National Oil Companies) customers as Schneider Electric! This is where the end-user makes strategic decisions such as whether the platform will be manned or fully remote-operated, will be a flare or not, will the platform be powered by a gas turbine or from a connection to a mainland or offshore renewable power source…
All these choices have major impacts on the energy consumption and CO2 impact of the facility. One can optimize a CO2 intensive facility, but the best approach is to make sure the facility is NOT CO2 intensive…Schneider Electric has a number of capabilities to contribute to the partnership… from our energy & sustainability consulting capabilities to our power and process system control capabilities, that can be remotely deployed…These capabilities, combined with the other discipline expertise from io consulting and McDermott, support the developers of such facilities in their choices, detailing what is feasible with current technologies, at what cost and with what impact on CO2 emissions.