Over the past few years, the world has slowly shifted towards an automation driven approach. This has brought forth a need to understand machine-driven functions. In today’s era, machinery has taken over the roles of production, manufacturing, and packaging across all industries.
However, we should not overlook the fact that machinery has to be manually operated and the internal processing needs to be controlled. Here is what SCADA does:
- Collect and monitor the real-time process data from inter-linked physical interfaces
- Control industrial functions either remotely or locally
- Track and record data into a machinery log file
- Interact with devices such as sensors, valves, pumps, motors, and HMI software
The SCADA Software simplifies a given infrastructure by integrating hardware or machinery components. However, understanding these components can be quite complex. Below mentioned are five important subsystems of a SCADA system that have highlighted its importance in the future of industrial processes –
- Human Machine Interface (HMI)
- Supervisory system
- Remote Terminal Units (RTUs)
- Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs)
- Communication infrastructures
SCADA systems are software of the modern world. The system functions in close coordination with hardware and software components. The hardware collects and feeds data into the processing unit of a computer. The computer then processes this data at varying time intervals. SCADA either records and logs events into a folder on a hard disk or sends them to a printer. The software also identifies situations when conditions can potentially cause damage to the entire system.
Keeping in mind the advantage of transparency in processing and extent of data monitoring, the reasons why it is so critical to invest in SCADA are listed below.
- Improved Engineering Efforts: Advanced process control has lowered the re-engineering required at different levels of industrial processes. It has considerably lessened the cost of machinery control, electricity usage, and operational complications.
- Promotes Skill-Based Employment: The deployment of SCADA systems has significantly reduced the manual labor required for tasks, which in turn reduces the risks involved in the entire method. It has lead to a demand for skilled and multi-functional employees who are proficient in understanding the integration of automation and technology in operations.
- Reduced Maintenance Cost: Automation has facilitated ease of operational functions. It has reduced the resource drainage, increased efficiency & output, and finally, reduced investment. All of these factors lead to an increase in industry revenue.
- Access to Analytics: Optimising the throughput of a system is critical for nearly every business to sustain and grow. By being well-versed with such a system, one can easily study the inputs into the system, analyse and differentiate the output in different scenarios in order to maximise efficiency.
Schneider Electric India serves to be the top-notch player in the Supervisory Control and Data Analytics domain. It has lent forces to industries to develop and grow, the automated, controlled and monitored way with its scalable SCADA Software.
Implementing a SCADA system is a one-time investment for a business to prosper in the long run. Triumphant organisations are technologically advanced and driven by unique modern-day automation processes.