In this era of technology and communication, it is hard to imagine that simple issues stemming from an aging power system can cause serious damage as well as pose major safety risks. Within a power system, switchgear controls can be thought of as the operating system or ‘brains’ of the electrical switchgear. Existing facilities with aging operating systems open them up to multiple vulnerabilities ranging from the risk of unplanned downtime to complete system failure.
Modernization solutions exist that upgrade the switchgear’s operating system with intelligent technology and help avoid such failures. Business requirements change over time; having an upgraded switchgear operating system helps ensure reliable power and continued business operations.
Switchgear Controls Health Check Guide
The following are important recommendations for evaluating the health of your switchgear controls (operating system):
- Use system documentation to review hardware and software for obsolescence. Have repair parts readily available as it is a critical attribute to having a reliable, robust system.
- Physically evaluate the condition of the switchgear and controls – looking for signs of wear and tear, overheating, exposure to moisture or component failure.
- Consider all electromechanical relays for replacement as newer multi-function relays can help reduce the overall device footprint and offer remote reporting and monitoring capabilities. In addition, newer multi-functional relays or a Human Machine Interface (HMI) can also be used to provide better situational awareness of the system.
- Add an HMI to help provide a simpler user interface, as well as better functionality and system troubleshooting capabilities.
- Check the overall system maintenance and testing schedule to see if it is time to schedule preventive maintenance. In addition, consider recommissioning the operating system.
- Determine if current codes and standards may have affected the sequence of operation or hardware configuration.
- Relocate operator controls away from the gear to enhance overall system safety.
The health check guide helps provide significant system improvements, but in complex scenarios you must always employ a holistic approach while seeking out modernization upgrades. The right approach includes obtaining a system level understanding of your needs before buying any pre-packaged solution.
Reliable power is an often overlooked, but critical component of our livelihood. Whether we consider a hospital, a data center, an industrial manufacturer or a school, nothing operates without it. Hence, existing switchgear controls should always be given consideration when prioritizing any upgrades. More information can be found here.