This audio was created using Microsoft Azure Speech Services
A 10% decrease in energy costs can have the same impact to a Retailer’s bottom line as an 8% increase in sales/sqf
Retailers are under pressure
Customers are demanding transparency into the operations of the brands they buy. With more than 50% of consumers preferring sustainable brands over comparable products, Retailers are going green to maintain market share. Top “Meaningful Brands” who consumers trust to improve their quality of life outperform the market by 120%, making a compelling case for sustainability.
Mobile commerce currently contributes 5.1% of total retail sales, this will increase to reach 17–21% of total sales by 2016. Mobile sales have contributed to declining foot traffic. Retail foot traffic dropped 3.2% in 2011, and sales per square foot in the US have dropped by 5% in 5 years.
Solution: reduce energy and resource consumption across enterprise
Reducing energy and resource consumption mitigates the risk of lower sales, reduces costs and helps Retailers reach their energy and sustainability goals. The result is a more profitable bottom line and loyal customers.
Recommendations for deploying energy and sustainability management
- Look at top performing Retailers sustainability successes, what can be learned from best practices?
- Evaluate the entire building portfolio, cluster buildings by type, age, equipment and ability to control consumption
- Implement a Sustainability Roadmap
- Source energy strategically (where available) to get the best price and contract terms
- Streamline and centralize utility bill payment and budget development in a global platform
- Design and install an energy and resource data collection infrastructure for new stores and retrofits to ensure the right data is collected
- Monitor and report on energy and resource consumption and carbon emmisions in a global platform that allows you to view data by site, and aggregated across all buildings
- Perform efficiency audits on select stores that represent clusters to identify typical problem areas
- Analyze energy and resource data to provide recommendations of initiatives to reduce consumption or optimize energy use
- Embark on energy and resource efficiency projects, prioritized by ROI and impact on sustainability goals
- Share your sustainability metrics internally and externally
Interested in learning more about these best practices? Visit our website.
Do you have a recommendation for deploying an energy and sustainability management solution?
 The Big Green Opportunity for Small Business in the US, Havas Media, Meaningful Brands report