Rising energy costs. Tighter operating budgets. Staff spread thin and asked to do more with less. If you run a hospital, these operating constraints sound all too familiar. Facility managers struggle to address these issues and provide better energy efficiency and operational efficiency in their hospitals.
Schneider Electric offers a new solution delivered via Schneider Electric’s EcoStruxure for Healthcare IoT platform and EcoStruxure Building Operation software (formerly StruxureWare Building Operation). “The new Clinical Environment Optimization solution helps healthcare facilities make smarter decisions about their energy use based on critical room occupancy data that previously hasn’t been used to its full potential,” says Michael Sullivan, Buildings Segments President, Schneider Electric. Now hospitals no longer waste energy by heating, cooling, or lighting empty rooms.
Using room occupancy data, the Clinical Environment Optimization automatically adjusts room conditions based on information entered in the hospital’s admission, discharge, transfer (ADT) system. The building automation system manages lighting control, temperature control, and airflow management automatically based on this information and includes the ability for local override when needed.
How does the Clinical Environment Optimization solution work?
The Clinical Environment Optimization solution integrates with existing systems via a Health Level-7 (HL7) interface. HL7 is an organization that develops open standards in support of healthcare system interoperability. It is one of the most widely implemented standards used in healthcare. This standard is what allows the exchange of clinical data and links clinical and facilities systems.
The Clinical Environment Optimization solution can also connect to existing infrastructure systems using BACnet, LONworks, or Modbus protocols, which are commonly used for building automation and control applications.
3 tips for easy optimization
- Integrate the BMS and the hospital ADT system to reduce energy spend in unoccupied patient rooms, operating theaters, and clinical areas.
- Use the room occupancy information to alert housekeeping staff to time periods when rooms are empty and available for cleaning
- Use the room occupancy information to alert facilities staff to time periods when the rooms are empty and available for maintenance and repairs.
One size fits all
Applicable to any size healthcare facility, the Clinical Environment Optimization solution offers the following:
- Flexible energy profiles for different departments or hospital areas
- User interface for quick access to room status, reset or synchronize
- Configuration tool for quick setup
- No patient-specific information is retained to comply with HIPAA privacy standards
- Support of 4 room modes to maximize energy savings, as well as support of local override
- Occupied – Room is occupied
- Unoccupied – Room is temporarily vacant but assigned
- Available – Room is available and ready for occupancy
- Housekeeping – Room is vacant and available for housekeeping
- Local Override to Occupied – allows override to the occupied set points for the room
- Supports single-bed and multiple-bed room configuration
- Integrates easily with Apps Studio (formerly known as AdaptiApps for Healthcare), Schneider Electric’s mobile app that puts temperature control and lighting control directly into patients’ hands.
- Supports the Schneider Electric BMS as well as third-party BMS systems using BACnet or LONworks protocols.
Learn how Schneider Electric’s Clinical Environment Optimization can transform both the energy efficiency and operational efficiency of your hospital.