When we talk to facility managers and C-level site managers, we always try to understand what their pain points are and see how we might be able to help.
What’s most surprising to me is how consistently they talk about challenges with energy efficiency and their electrical asset management, and how they lack the necessary data to figure out where the precise opportunities are to make improvements on uptime and energy management.
Here are some of the most common complaints—from small industry to larger commercial buildings–we hear. How many of them have you counting sheep at night?
- No visibility on consumption per zone or per usage
- Maintenance follow-up is time consuming
- False alarms are a pain
- Need more data to improve the situation
- Lack of resources available, skilled and motivated to monitor & manage energy consumptions
- Lack of time / expertise to identify measures to reduce energy costs
- No capability, no time nor skills to check (verify) the maintenance jobs
- Do not receive alerts when something happens
The good news is that a new generation of asset management, preventive and predictive maintenance solutions and remote asset and energy monitoring services are making their way into today’s buildings.
These powerful systems leverage sensors, the existing Ethernet infrastructure, and potentially cloud-based services providers to:
- Monitor the status of power distribution equipment such as circuit breakers, providing notification of when an abnormal condition is detected
- Monitor energy usage by zones or usage, providing insight into opportunities for improvement
- Send an alarm when immediate action is required and allow the management of alarms to avoid the “too many notifications” scenario
- Provide summary data for trending analysis, record-keeping, and for additional insight into areas for improvement
Models show that a facility implementing this type of system could save as much as 18% per year on building energy cost and up to 8% on maintenance costs.
Facility managers report that they are sleeping better at night, too.
If you’re involved in asset and energy management and preventive and predictive maintenance initiatives, Schneider Electric professionals can help. We offer a range of smart systems, power and supervisory monitoring tools and solutions, and cloud-based energy management and advisory services. For more information, contact you local Square D distributor:
Communicating Electrical Distribution
Cloud – Based Energy Management and Advisory Service for small – medium buildings
Building Management System with Power Monitoring Tools
StruxureWare Building Operation
Enterprise Power Monitoring solution
Struxureware Power Monitoring Expert
Supervisory Control and Monitoring solution
StruxureWare Power SCADA Expert